Monday, September 27, 2010

Yummy Scented Fingerpaint


I saw this posted on Almost Unschoolers and thought it sounded like a fun idea.  Homemade fingerpaint  that smells like Fall....Sounds Cool, Right?

Recipe:

1 cup corn starch
8 TBS sugar
4 cups water

Directions:

Mix it all together and cook and stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken.  I actually cooked mine a little too long and it came out more like a gel than a paint, but Nathan and I liked it better that way.  To make the paint smell like fall scents, I added a little of each to the paint - cinnamon, ginger, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice and I cut open an orange spice tea bag to use as well.  Then, I added some food coloring to each bowl with the scents (orange, brown, red, green and yellow). 


Nathan and I used sponge paint brushes, instead of our fingers.  We painted pictures of fall trees.  I also found some print outs of leaves online and printed those out, which we painted and I cut out once they dried. 








The next day, we made a tree using paper bags and taped the leaves to the tree.  This made a really awesome fall display for our house and was a great way to showcase Nathan's art work as well.


14 comments:

Emmy said...

No way! Never would have guessed you could make paint with those ingredients. Cute tree!

Katie Adams said...

new follower from Follow me Tuesday! I applaud you on keeping your head on straight with 6 kids. Mine spins around with only 2 kids! LOL!

Hope to see you soon around my blog.

Katie
http://diaryofmomma00.blogspot.com

WCA Yash Travel said...

new follower from FMBT
http://gustosa-giveaways.blogspot.com/

Ruth said...

That is one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen, and my craft-crazy four year old would love it! I can't wait to try it--she begs me to do crafts all day long, and most of the time I am struggling for ideas!

I'm just popping in from the Tuesday hop. I really like your blog. That picture of your family on the top is great! I'm now following. Stop by if you get a chance!

http://livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am a new follower from the blog hop.
Living Out Loud
http://lgreenss.blogspot.com

Closer to Lucy said...

You're my new hero!! Great pics and fun kid time!

I'm out for FMBT!!! Come visit me!
closertolucy.blogspot.com

BTW...liked you on FB too!

Unknown said...

I am a new follower from the Tuesday Blog Hop. This is too cute. I love the tree on the door with the leaves. I am going to have to use this once I start my in home child care back up! Love it!

Becky Jane said...

Just had a long looksie around on your blog! Scented finger paint sounds really fun! New follower from FMBT!
Hope you can stop by for a visit!
Thanks, Becky Jane
Raising kids can be a lot like weeding the rose bed...well worth it, but...OUCH!
http://myelevenreasons.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

6 children is definately quite an adventure! :-) Stopping by to follow your blog from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Looking forward to connecting with you here and on your Facebook Fan Page!

Carrie A Groff
http://livingahealthybeachlife.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

Great idea! I love how the tree looks on the door!

Ginny Marie said...

That looks like so much fun! I can't wait to try it with my daughters!

Visiting from SITS! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea too! Thanks for sharing :)

-Marci
@http://Marciandlevin.blogspot.com

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love how your tree turned out!

kewkew said...

I can't wait to try this. I tried a fingerpaint recipe before that didn't work and this looks so much better. I love the idea of making it smell like fall. And painting leaves to cut them out would work perfectly. I could take our apple tree and give it some fall leaves.