Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Countdown To School (Craft Project)

Since Nathan is starting kindergarten this year, we've been reading lots of "getting ready for" kindergarten books.  We also made a countdown calendar, which came out totally awesome! But to tell you the truth, it almost makes me nervous to look at....(((cause my baby is going to school))).  I have such mixed emotions about this, let me tell you.

Here's a look at our project.  


I took a sheet of black construction paper and cut some red construction paper to make a border around the black.  I printed out several sheets of school images for Nathan to color and cut out and then glued them to the black paper.  I got these sheets HERE




I also found some number print outs at DLTK.  Then I took some sheets of construction paper and cut them in half.  I glued the numbers to the middle of the construction paper.  And let the kids decorate the sheets of paper with all sorts of fun stuff.....feathers, beads and various stickers.  It was so much fun that I actually made a few myself. 










When all the glue dried, I punched holes in the tops of each of the numbered papers.  I also punched holes in the bottom of the black sheet.  I took some leftover mis-matched ribbon and tied it all together.  Now all the kids can countdown to school in a fun, cute, creative way.


Here's a list of some books we've been reading.....

- On The Way To Kindergarten by Virginia Kroll
- Kindergartenbooks - My First Time Starting School by Kate Petty, Lisa Kopper and Jim Pipe
- The Twelve Days of Kindergarten A Counting Book by Deborah Lee Rose
- Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee
- What a Day it Was at School! by Jack Prelutsky
- Welcome to Kindergarten by Anne Rockwell
- It's My School by Sally Grindley
- Off to Kindergarten by Tony Johnston.

7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Very cute. I know how you feel. My middle child is about to start first grade and my youngest is starting her final preschool year before kindergarten. So emotional.

Jennifer Sikora said...

Following you from the Wednesday blog hops! Be sure and stop by my blog and return the favor! Blessings to you. http://www.jennifersikora.com/2010/08/welcome-wednesday.html

Melissa B. said...

It's a rainy day here, and even though I'm a high school teacher, I think some back-to-school crafts are in order. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Bad Hair Day

Eastlyn and co. said...

Hey, Charlene-what a great idea to help get a little one ready for school. I wish I'd come across this sooner for my niece, but alas, school starts Monday. I'm thinking I'll do something similar for my older kiddoes next year with something to do each day of the week before school starts, like: label school supplies, choose a week's worth of outfits, pack backpack, plan lunch menu, etc. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Au said...

Coming to you from Take It From Me blog Hop. If you want another blog hop, I would love it if you would visit mine:

http://momsreview4you.blogspot.com/p/blog-hop.html

My blog hop with be up every wednesday! Thanks!
Melissa

Emmy said...

Those are totally cute. Some of those nerves come when you are on the other end with your oldest in kindergarten too.

Unknown said...

I love how each number is so unique and special. They did an awesome job.