Wednesday, January 20, 2010

NOT Your Typical Sports Mom

I'll be the first to admit it, I am not a sports person. Yes, I was a tomboy growing up - I liked climbing trees and playing ball in the back yard, but I quickly turned into a girly girl and haven't looked back. Now I'm the mother of four sons and two daughters, both of which are/were tomboys. Amanda played on the boy's baseball league for a few years, played basketball as well. Sarah now plays basketball and loves playing baseball. She doesn't like softball, she likes baseball. I think she likes proving to the boys that she can play just as well as them.

So, I take my kids to all these sporting events and sit there watching the kids and I don't have a stinkin' clue what I'm watching half the time. Seriously!!

I see these other parents screaming out tips and ringing those cowbell things and I just can't get into it. I try cheering when I think I should....like if Sarah hits a triple during a baseball game. Or when Zach actually shoots a ball into the hoop. And I throw an occasional "good job" out there once in a while. But when the kids start talking about their games and how Sarah had a lay out or lay up (whatever the heck it's called) and missed her shot at the hoop...I have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

In fact there was a year when I went to Anthony's basketball games and sat there talking to another mother and didn't see Anthony make the basket - twice in one game. He still won't let me live that one down.

Rich watches two sports....football and boxing. I admit I do kind of like watching the boxing, sometimes. I'm lucky that he really only likes watching the Steelers play ball and even then, he goes to a friend's house to watch the games. I do on occasion watch the games with him and I know I annoy him (hence the reason he likes going to his buddy's house) by asking him stupid questions about the games the whole way through...and it's usually the same stupid questions over and over...because I wasn't really paying attention when he explained it the first hundred times. It's a good thing I didn't marry a man that loved sports or I'd be in big trouble, huh?

So if you ever see me sitting there watching the kids games and think I look like I'm intensely watching the game....think again. I'm usually bored out of my mind, sitting there thinking of what I could be doing or what needs to be done when the game is over, etc. But, hey at least I make an effort to support the kids in their endeavours....what more do you want?!

9 comments:

watch pacquiao vs clottey live said...

Pretty nice post. I just came across your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really liked reading your posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

Kristy K said...

Charlene - I know what you mean! I know nothing about sports and I just cringe every time the kids want to play one. One time during a soccer game, I was cheering at Bubby to go down the field.... in the wrong direction. Yeah. I'm that mom.

Writing Without Periods! said...

Love your writing...and I too am not sporty. Wish I were.
Mary

Pamela Gold said...

Are you the mom in the crowd who yells "Touchdown" at a baseball game? Are you THAT mom?

When I saw all your kids in your picture header I thought, WOW, she must be exhausted. I have three and the thoughts racing through my brain puts me into overload.

Here from SITS, Happy Friday!!!

Cassie said...

I don't really get into sports either, so I'll probably be bored when my son joins things too.

Stopping by from Follow Friday! I'm a follower now :)

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Hi there! Here following from the Friday follow! Love your blog!

fraizerbaz said...

Stopping by from Friday Follow! Happy Friday!
http://fraizerbaz.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

You are there for them, and that's what counts. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog for Friday Follow. I'm following you now too!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.