Monday, December 14, 2009

In the Cards.....

I came to the realization a few days ago that I will have to be a whole lot craftier and think of more projects that I can do with Nathan. Because one morning he woke up, ran over to me, gave me a big hug and asked "So what are we going to make today Mommy?" I do try to do fun things with him and I do like doing crafty sorts of things (I like doing them even more now that I'm back on Zoloft - feel better and have more energy). But I never really had a designated "craft time", I guess it's never to late to do that sort of thing.


At any rate....as I was going through all the decoration boxes, I found a ton of old Christmas cards and being a recovering packrat, I hated the thought of just throwing them away. But then, what the heck was I supposed to do with all those old cards. I figured I could make something out of them. I don't really need anymore ornaments for our tree, so that idea was out. I scoured the web, googled for what felt like an eternity and couldn't find a darn thing that I thought would make a good craft idea (especially for a 4 year old).

So, I decided to make a card wreath. I cut out pictures from the old cards and got out the glue, some paper plates. I cut out the center of the paper plate to make the wreath shape. Nicholas decided it looked like fun, so I handed both of them scissors and the glue and they worked on their projects. It ended up being a pretty decent project that both boys enjoyed. And it gave me the opportunity to work on my own project, getting our family Christmas cards ready to be sent (for which I have a serious hand cramp - even now two days later).









3 comments:

Alex Fitzpatrick aka Ma What's 4 Dinner said...

It's a double edged sword being a fun mom. I too have to deal with the "What are we doing today mommy?" Some days I'm too tired to think of anything fun so I say..."It's a movie day!!!!"

I believe in you though, and if I can't think of something I'll just come here and rip off one of your awesome ideas and my kids will just go on thinking I'm a hero! :)

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

Kristy K said...

Charlene - that is BRILLIANT!!! I love seeing all your crafts. Sorry, but you have to keep your ideas flowing because I've been stealing them!

Kristin @ Meanbean said...

what a great idea! I'm filing this away in my brain for later use :)

Thanks for stopping by my grumpy pants post, it's really nice to know I'm not alone!