Monday, July 20, 2009

More growing.....







Have I mentioned how excited I am over this whole process? Back when I was a kid, my mom always had a garden. And I hated it! Spending all day in a garden weeding the sucker when all I wanted to do was play with my friends really sucked. The only thing that I remember liking about it was snapping the beans after they were picked. For some reason, I just loved doing that.

This is our first year doing a garden and for the most part I'm enjoying it. It's kind of hard though when you imagine a girly girl who doesn't like being outside that much, having to not only go outside, but deal with bugs and dirt and other things such as that. I'm not real thrilled with that part. I'm also not really thrilled by the fact that the kids think it's hilarious to "accidentally" spray me with the hose when I ask for their help. And now listening to them whine about having to help weed the garden, makes me a little more sympathetic towards my mother.

But, I am enjoying the rewards of having a garden. It's exciting watching things you planted grow. It's even more pleasant picking some of those things out and washing them to use in a salad or to make dinner with. And when you can grasp a handle on how much money you can save by not having to buy those things in the grocery store or at the farmer's market - it just makes it all more better in my opinion. Now, I just need to figure out what do with all of it, once it really starts coming in....canning? freezing? It'll be like a whole new adventure for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful garden and I say can and freeze! You'll be so happy during the winter months when you have all this produce on hand instead of going out into the cold to fetch it.

South Beach Steve said...

Charlene, my wife and I have chosen to can, freeze, and dry. Of course, we try to use all we can. By the way, what a great looking garden!

Char said...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :)